My husband made this for our family tonight and it was delicious! The original recipe called for ground beef, but we substituted that with ground turkey meat and it was SO good! Definitely a recipe to try again. :)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, fresh, diced
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth, fat-free, low-sodium
- 3 ounces ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons egg whites
- 1 teaspoon parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon basil, dried
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut a slice from the top of the bell pepper; remove seeds and membrane. Cook pepper shell in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, sauteé onion and celery in chicken stock until tender. Remove mixture and set aside.
- In same skillet, brown and drain ground turkey. Add vegetable mixture back into the skillet with meat, stirring to combine, and turn off heat. Stir in egg whites, parsley (chopped), black pepper, and basil.
- Fill pepper shell with meat mixture and place in a baking dish lightly coated with non-stick cooking spray. Pour hot water to a depth of 1/4 inch around pepper. Bake 30 minutes.